The lessons I learnt from my father

This last weekend we had the great blessing of having “yayu” (J and E’s grandpa) with us and I couldn’t let pass the chance to share with all of you some of the lessons that I have learnt from my dad and that I have felt so vividly these days. I know he will read this post “in secret” cause he is not too keen on all the “social media madness” but I hope he won’t mind I write about it.

Laughing out Loud

IMG_2056

Anyone who’s ever had a chat with my family knows that we like to have a good laugh of almost everything! specially my dad and I have a bit of a dark sense of humour that usually would be my mum who would be suffering the consequences, but in general, laughing at ourselves, laughing of our mistakes, laughing out loud has definitely helped us go through life situations with a much better attitude. Now it’s something that I try to apply within my own family, and J’s sense of humour is much of a reflection of that.

Search for the good in life

My dad has the gift of seeing good in other people and good in things. Everything that falls to his hands he will have the vision of what he can do to make it look better, nicer or more productive. He won’t need that many tools or much investment but he will definitely work wonders with almost anything you ask him for. To be honest, I think in a much deeper sense, that is how he raised my brothers and I, with the eyes put on what we could become regardless of what we were then. And that, has made all the difference.

Be teachable

IMG_8726

Don’t ever think you know everything! Once your bag is full there’s nothing else you can add to it so that will stop you from growing. My dad is always open to learn from his children, even the youngest one who is 11 y.old, or from his children-in-law, or even from his grandchildren. Anyone can teach us meaningful lessons if we are open enough to receive them.

Never stop creating

IMG_8738

Building dreams, trying to make them real, it is never too late. And if age becomes an obstacle try to adapt and think outside the box. His spirit of entrepreneurship will always be an inspiration to me and my family. Stepping out of our comfort zone and trying new things is hard but it will be worthy at the end and along the way.

Believe in yourself

IMG_8746

Love yourself, like yourself, believe you can do things. Self-confidence is probably one of the most attractive attributes and my mum would agree to that. Not a fool of themselves, not thinking of themselves better than others, just recognising your virtues and accepting your weaknesses. But if you cannot love yourself you won’t be able to love others.

With an eye single to the glory of God

IMG_2025

He is always taught us never to be afraid of dying. He sees death as a part of life, and thus you do your best while you’re here, preparing to meet with your Creator, and then enjoy the other side of the journey, while you wait for your loved ones to join you. He is an imperfect person who loves to live the gospel on his daily life and not just on a Sunday. And that’s how we try to be as well.

I’m pretty sure my dad has and will face challenges on parenting, loving others, ageing, and many other things, as we all do, but when you put life in the right perspective, and you see the example he is leaving with us, you see a man who tries, and because of that, you want to try as well.

<We love you yayu!! Thanks for these days with us!>

What have your father taught you? Don’t need to wait for Father’s Day or any other special occasion to share those lessons 🙂

Cuddle Fairy

19 Comments

1. Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 06:51 PM

Aww how lovely! I never had a father growing up, and I don’t really have one now as an adult either. I think you’re really lucky. x

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 06:56 PM

I was actually thinking about that now Elizabeth! Thanks for your comment , I am lucky indeed 🙂 X

2. Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 07:41 PM

What a lovely post – definitely life lessons I’d agree with, and ones I should remember too as often as I can. Such a happy first photo as well with the kids.

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:22 PM

Aw thank you! yeah, you’re so right, we all need to remember them as often as possible. Thanks for the comment 🙂 x

3. twotinyhands
    Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 07:56 PM

Such a lovely dad post. I think my dad has probably indirectly taught me that I can do anything I want to. He is always in awe of what I do and get up too. We laugh out loud a lot here it great isn’t it!?

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:24 PM

definitely! LOL is the best medicine for anything! 😀 thanks for the comment xx

4. Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:23 PM

What a lovely post, I am sure your dad will love to secretly read this. I adore my dad and have been lucky to have him by my side every step of my life x

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:25 PM

yes! when I asked him he was just so excited I wrote about him! haha xx

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:28 PM

He is indeed 🙂 I’m pretty sure as many other dads out there. Thanks for the comment Kaz xx

5. Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:35 PM

These are great lessons and so very true. Children naturally see the good in the world and happiness in every corner! H x

• elituesbay
      Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 09:40 PM

they always do! 🙂 thanks for the comment xx

6. Thursday May 12th, 2016 / 10:32 PM

Such a beautifully written blog post. I’m sure you children are happy to have their grandad just like your father must be proud to call. You his daughter

• elituesbay
      Friday May 13th, 2016 / 11:23 AM

aw thank you Candace! such a beautiful compliment. 🙂 glad you enjoyed the post x

7. Sarah Ella (Mumx3x)
    Friday May 13th, 2016 / 09:34 AM

Awww, what a lovely post! Your dad sounds like such a great guy and inspiring too! I love all this advice! Seeing good in people and being positive is seriously one of the keys to being happy, I search for the good in everything, even in the crappiest of times, it’s hard sometimes but it truly helps. I loved this post and your pictures are fab, it looks like you had a lovely time with your time. xx

• elituesbay
      Friday May 13th, 2016 / 11:25 AM

we did! and the weather was so good. 🙂 everything looks better when we try to see the bright side,right? Thanks for your comment Sarah! x

8. randommusings29
    Friday May 13th, 2016 / 01:52 PM

Your dad sounds like a great man. The sense of humour thing works wonders for getting through life’s tough patches, and I love that he taught you to believe in yourself. That’s the single most useful thing anyone can teach you!
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK 🙂
    Debbie

9. Angela Milnes
    Friday May 13th, 2016 / 09:34 PM

What a fab post. My dad taught me to find ways to make money and save and be frugal. He is still the same today and a great example. Angela from daysinbed

• elituesbay
      Friday May 13th, 2016 / 10:02 PM

Aw thanks Angela! That’s a great teaching from your dad indeed, specially nowadays where everything is just spending money.. Thanks for your comment! X